Sunday, October 28, 2012

Good Job

This is a very thankless job.  I was trained to think: if no one says anything about wardrobe, consider your work perfect.  I'm still a firm believer in that...in most cases.  I don't do this for glory or fame or money.  I do it because I love it and even if I try to walk away from it, I just can't.  Consider it a syndrome.  I recently spoke with a rather naive "model" who seemed to think I was in this business for a different reason, and that was to get the attention and respect from other "artists" and society.  I explained to him that if I'd wanted that, I would've chosen a different career path.  Its simply not in my circuitry to be like "oh look how wonderful my work is, everyone!"  I may joke about it from time to time but really and truly, I do it for myself.  Otherwise my OCD takes over and I just can't let the shoot continue.   The conversation continued, because he wasn't willing to let it go.  "fine.  If you really are just doing this for yourself, then why do you have a Twitter page, fan page and this blog?  Why do you show people your work at all?"  Hmmm...fairly good questions...if you're naive and you just don't get it.  But I'll answer them just for shits and giggles:
-Twitter page @alittletree: for posting my awesome one-liners.  Its also my go-to place when I'm sad because I follow a lot of comedians.  I use my twitter to generate more fans and readers as well.
-Facebook fan page facebook.com/drapeme:  let's face it.  Facebook is huge.  Everyone who's anyone uses it.  If people/clients want to be my friend on there, I tell them to "like" the fan page first.  Its good for business.  Its advertising.  Girl's gotta eat right?
-This Blog xtinakim.com/blogspot: combination.  It keeps track of my progress, tells of misadventures I've had with celebrities, and educates people about working with a true costume designer.  Its honesty and realness of my career.  
-my website xtinakim.com: photos of my work and how to get a hold of me.  its more "like what you see?  then hire me" than glorification. 

Most people in this industry are in it because they love it.  I mean I guess it may be harder for this "model" who is just used to getting praised all the time for his looks....no offense, dude.  I don't really consider what you do as art.  Pretty sure the photographer, H/MU, and stylist are the artists.  You're just the canvas so you don't really have much clout here.  Get to steppin'. Go kick rocks. 

Anyways, back to the topic of this entry.  As I was saying, this is a thankless job.  Its still rewarding though as long as no one says anything :)
However, sometimes there are people who have eyes specifically for what I do and when they take time to tell me "good job", I am truly  moved.  I'm moved because that means someone is paying attention.  Not to me, but to the work.  Ah a breath of fresh air.  I got an email from a director for a show I did fx makeup on Discovery ID. He said he was looking back at the footage and loved it; that he really appreciated my work and couldn't wait to work with me again.  I went to 2 industry parties and had people actually recognize my work.  I was amazed...what were they doing staring at costumes and not paying attention to the story?  Maybe they watched it twice.   LOL.  It was really unexpected and also nice...this may sound backwards compared to the material above but I disagree.  
The difference is, I don't do this seeking the words "good job" in everything I do.  Its more to be able to mentally say "I did it."  Its all for me and my sanity.  "Good job" is always nice to hear, but "I did it" sounds way better to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment